Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What is "Normal" Anyway?

Sophia on her way to the top of Yosemite Falls on our family trip
You may wonder why we sacrifice 8 weeks of normalcy on the altar of camp ministry each summer.
It's a good question. Karen and I really only get a day together between camps and those days are crowded with up to 10 sweaty teenage guys. "Down time" is filled with preparation for the next trip, paying bills, and trying to get urgent chores completed around the house, shopping, cooking, and repairing equipment.

But when Karen and I see the eternal impact that these relatively small sacrifices produce the sacrifices don't seem all that sacrificial any longer. How could we grumble against what God so clearly uses to change so many lives ... including our own.


Plus, I spent 4 weeks climbing, paddling, surfing and serving with Josh. I got a week white water canoeing with Hannah, spent some sweet time at Father/Daughter camp with Sophia, and saw all of the Gregg gals serve with Christ-likeness at Base-Camp.


With all of that said, I am thankful for a wife who never once bemoans the life to which God has called us, and who sends me notes of encouragement instead of complaints. I have a wife to whom I long to return!

No comments:

Post a Comment