Thursday, May 24, 2012

Leadership Practice ... The Camporal

Each year in the spring young men in junior high and high school in our battalion ministries have a chance to practice the skills of leadership in the context of competition.

This is always a wonderful event to watch, as young men learn to lead and to follow. Where they see their strengths blossom and God shows them areas of weakness.

Examples from my own experience 20 years ago:
  1. I learned to listen to wise counsel the hard way as a 13 year old when I cut the tip of my finger off with a hatchet during a fire building competition because I thought I could dismiss the counsel of an older man.  
  2. I learned my tendency toward impatience in the midst of hardship as the 5 guys on my squad were trying to race around a course all standing on the same two 2X4 wooden boards. That required teamwork and my attitude didn't help.
  3. I learned the importance as well as some of the finer points of hospitality in the life of the Christian as we cooked and served adult leaders as a part of the competition.  

To view some more pictures click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment