Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cool Reads: Knowing God, by J.I. Packer

Karen and I are loving this book!
I collect books with a high and lofty goal in doing so … to read them. But it pains me to admit that many an amazing book still lays lonely and unread on my book shelf. One of these specimens of neglect has now been pulled off the shelf and Karen and I are reading it together. And it is a tragedy that a book this wonderful has sat so close to me for so long without receiving the respect it so clearly deserves!

Knowing God has stood the test of time for the last 40 years. It continues to be as relevant and beautiful now as it did four decades ago, in part because the subject matter (the Triune God) is himself eternally interesting, and also because it is so well written.

I leave you with a few excerpts from the beginning of the book and my hope is that if you want to know God better you will not miss the time tested insights of this book.

In Chapter one Williamson begins to answer the foundational question: "Who needs Theology?"

“... Knowing God is crucially important for the living of our lives. As it would be cruel to
an Amazonian tribesman to fly him to London, put him down without explanation in Trafalgar square and leave him … to fend for himself, so we are cruel to ourselves if we try to live in this world without knowing about the God whose world it is and who runs it. The world becomes a strange, mad, painful place, and life in it a disappointing and unpleasant business …”

Join the thousands who have seen their life and view of God changed because of this challenging and encouraging book.

You can purchase it reasonably priced from Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment